Personal Career Consulting
Career Consultants and ACS members work together in developing career plans. A consultant can stimulate your thinking, ask important career planning questions to help clarify goals, provide encouragement, teach strategies for making meaningful career decisions, and aid you in your job search. Career Consultants are at National Meetings, Regional Meetings, Career Events and online.
Why you should connect with a Career Consultant
- Learn about tools and resources available in your particular area of chemistry.
- Discuss opportunities and experiences to assist you in making your employment experience successful.
- Identify the skills you have developed through your academic, extracurricular, internship and job experiences.
- Make informed decisions about higher education and job offers.
- Recognize how personal strengths and limitations affect career planning.
- Research employers and industries.
- Develop strategies to explore your professional network.
- Create and implement a job transition, job search, internship search or graduate school plan.
- Develop your resume, cover letter and interview skills.
A mock interview is the best way to prepare to speak with a potential employer. You will have the opportunity?to practice answering difficult questions as well as receive feedback on how you present in interviews. You will also be able to ask your consultant about their background, and how he or she obtained their job.
Networking is developing relationships or contacts with individuals with the goal of sharing information and furthering your career. Effective networking will build your base of contacts for future reference and provide a support system as you explore and pursue career goals.
Your resume is a summary of your experience, knowledge and skills. It should show an employer what you’ve done, not just what you are capable of. Because your resume should cater to the position you are seeking, you may need several versions that are specific to the jobs you are applying to.
Not sure what to ask??
Our Career Consultants offer more than what is listed above. Have an open dialogue conversation about where you are in your career, and let it flow naturally.
Featured Career Consultants
Joseph Moore Ph.D.?– is an experienced science communicator with a background in chemical biology. Joe is currently employed with DuPont as a technical service specialist and is passionate about helping ACS members.
Greglynn Gibbs?is a research support technician and manager of the chemistry labs at Penn State Berks. She is very involved with ACS volunteer programs and enjoys reaching the younger chemists’ community, sharing her expertise in the chemical workforce.
Raj Rajur Ph.D.?- is an entrepreneur, mentor and educator with expertise in medicinal chemistry. Raj is the Founder & CEO of CreaGen which provides preclinical drug discovery research services to a variety of industries. Raj is a favorite among those looking to start their own companies, and leverage their network.
Become a Career Consultant
Volunteer consultants coach professionals at all stages of their careers with advice and tips for job searching, resumes, curriculum vitae formats, communication skills, and career management. Feel free to reach out to Kimberly Browne more information.